Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Pirate in us all

Today I went to a landfill. I had trash to dump, of course, but that was only half of my goal. After doing my disposal duty, I drove on over to where they piled up the heavy stuff, because I had a mission. Scavaging.

The idea of roaming around in a junkyard or a landfill and taking workable pieces from otherwise trashed objects has a certain appeal to me. I'm attracted to the idea of refurbishing, though I've little actual experience with it. I felt the particular urge to rummage through cars and appliances while in Senegal, when I was looking for parts to enact the grand ideas I had for renovating my hut. To my credit, the windmill design was taking shape, although I didn't get far enough to work in the alternator.

So today I found myself walking among discarded refrigerators and broken washing machines across a ground littered with strips of metal and plastic. Some see a wasteland of modern scrap, I see possibilities. Possibilities admittedly hampered by my limited understanding of electronics and contruction techniques, so I wouldn't feel safe with a high voltage power supply even if I found one.

I used to have a habit as a kid. Whenever I was in my grandmother's house, I loved to rifle through her kitchen drawers because she kept so much stuff in them. My mother often told me to stop plundering, as she called it. I guess I never learned. Really, though, can anyone keep a young boy from looking for buried treasure?

So what does that make me now? A thrifty dreamer? A modest pirate? A man who just likes to find potential in things? Whatever. I am who I am, and if my hands get dirty from a little digging, then that just makes the treasure shine brighter when I find it.

Yarr, matey. Yarr.


Twilight out.
Yo ho ho and a bottle of IBC Cream Soda

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yar, you can scavenge my place much as you like, so long as "plundering" also includes cleaning?

You can look to the materials for inspiration, or you can look for the materials after inspiration.

Me? I'm just looking for inspiring booty!

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home